Catherine Powell who was the former Disney Parks president for The Walt Disney Company’s Western Region and was also a Disney fan favorite who lead her incredible and talented leadership who was in charge for Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida; Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California; and Disneyland Paris in Coupvray, Marne La Vallee, France.
Catherine has been with The Walt Disney Company since 2004, serving in various leadership positions, including Senior Vice President in charge of media distribution for EMEA, and General Manager for The Walt Disney Company in Australia and New Zealand.
Powell’s position was eliminated back in September this year that caused a big drastic leadership role change within the company as both Walt Disney World and Disneyland have two new presidents that are currently instated presently. Josh D’Amaro is the new president of Walt Disney World and Rebecca Campbell is the new president of the Disneyland Resort.
Just as of recently, Powell posted her closing thoughts in a statement down below on her Linked In page from the following:
“Today is my last day at Disney after 15 and a half years, during which time I have had the amazing opportunity to work across multiple businesses, in all corners of the world and with incredible people.”
“I leave with several beliefs I think make a good leader and, intuitively, a great team;”
- View your career path as a series of stepping stones rather than a ladder to climb. Career moves seen as stepping stones teach versatility and can lead to new and often greater opportunities which may not have been immediately visible. Curiosity will help you choose different paths.
- Have courage. A courageous leader will foster loyalty, leading teams through changes with optimism and inspiration. You cant disrupt or transform without courage. Courage to believe in yourself to make the right decisions, even if there is a risk of failure.
- Be authentic. Authenticity creates trust. Teams will believe in and trust a leader they think is being true to themselves.
- Embrace vulnerability. Vulnerability is like a super power; it gives you incredible strength and confidence to face, own and eventually conquer adversity. I believe courage and authenticity can only truly exist in someone who is able to be vulnerable.
- Enjoy and encourage the success of others. A confident leader shares success. And if you can extend this to your colleagues also, then all boats will rise.
- Seek change. Disrupting the status quo is about looking for ways to embrace or finesse future opportunities for growth or even to survive. A useful step to change is to start asking “why?” And keep on asking why until the answer is immutable.
- Believe that ideas can, and should, come from everyone and anyone. Create a truly diverse environment in which everyone can contribute and so be their best self. Diversity will thrive under leaders who seek new thoughts and perspectives everywhere they look.
She further continued in her statement from the man who started it all for the company, Walt Disney:
“Apparently Walt Disney himself said “You may not realise it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in world for you”! I cant say gratitude was front of mind when it happened. But some weeks after learning I was leaving Disney, I can reflect with immense appreciation on the opportunities and experiences afforded to me and my family. And most importantly on the chance to meet and work with so many incredible people who have lifted me up over the past 15 years to make me a much better version of myself.”
“As I make my jump to yet another stepping stone, I am excited and curious about what this next chapter might have in store. Maybe Walt was right, and this will be the best thing in world for me!”
We all wish Catherine Powell the best of luck for her future endeavors and her next career path as she a fantastic and brilliant leader for The Walt Disney Company.
For everything Disney Parks & Resorts and all other themed entertainment news, keep checking back here at SkywalkingAdventure.com.
Follow all the latest themed entertainment news, tips and tricks, reviews and more over on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!
Source: Catherine Powell’s Linked In Page